Thursday, November 20, 2008

Seasonal Means Temporary

I'm Diamond~Star, and I approve this message.

This disclaimer being said, I have to tell you about my night work. For the past three weeks I have been working a seasonal job at Belk Distribution center in Blythewood, about 11 miles out of the city of Columbia. For those of you who never heard of Belk, it is a department store that lies in mostly southern states (Southeast and Southwest). I don't know if I could compare it to Macy's, but I think it is more comparable to Dillards.

Anyway, at the distribution center, there are different departments. I work in the shipping department where I am assigned a certain number of stores and at least 2 trucks to load. We load the pallets and the trucks according to the store number. The concept is easy. The work, until you get used to it, is hard. You best believe you will lose about 10 pounds or more working there.

Here it is, Tuesday night and the supervisor assigns me to be the floater among 4 lanes. Basically I am helping the others keep their lanes clear of the boxes and helping them load their trucks and pallets. Cool. I am with that cause that's constant moving. Things are going swell through the night.

4:00am. It's lunch time. After lunch, the 3rd shift has a meeting. I know that it's probably about the shift coming to an end because peak season is about over. I am prepared for this anyway because:
  1. When we applied, we were told that this was a seasonal job.
  2. Third shift was only going to last a few weeks. After that, the shift would be eliminated and those who wanted to stay on would be split between first and second shift.
  3. This seasonal job was obtained through the temp agency.

So tell me why after the supervisor tells us that our jobs on third shift will end this week, that some people decided that they were going to leave RIGHT THEN AND THERE??? I mean, could you not stick it out for 2 and a half more hours(the shift ended at 7am)? About 5 minutes after the meeting the supervisor ask me to take over a lane because this chica had bailed the hell out after the meeting. No goodbyes' no sayonara, nothing. So now I gotta work extra hard to catch this heffa's crap up so when first shift comes in they won't have a pile of boxes laying around everywhere.

Do folk not realize in a time where the economy is an eyesore, that you do not burn your bridges with your job, especially if it's with the temp agency. The temp agency may be able to place you somewhere else if things don't work out on this job. I hope this girl didn't get mad about her job ending when she knew that this was a seasonal job in the first place. Seasonal means temporary. Need to put that in the employment dictonary for those who don't know.

Well, one thing is for sure. There is a lot of other seasonal jobs out there if somebody need one. I just saw that Coca Cola bottling company is hiring for production workers...

That is my rant for today.

3 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

Yea, um...who in the hell doesn't know that seasonal means temporary? It is definitely not a good look to be that kind of irresponsible. If that gets back to the temp agency, they may not want to place her due to her inability to stick a job through. That was classless.

Diamond~Star said...

Girl you know I was so mad about having to work that line because it was backed up to infinity. It definitely did not look good for the heffa to just walk out on her job like that.

Anonymous said...

Some people are stupid as hell. I woulda kept my ass right there if I was her. I really don't like Temp agencies after my "experiences" with them....but then again, it's a JOB. Hell, a temp job is better than no job.

And some folks think that seasonal means the WHOLE damn season, too. NOT TRUE in most cases. They'll find out sooner or later. *SMDH*