Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We Are the United States of America!!!


Watch CBS Videos Online



Last night I attended an election watch night party hosted by the Midlands Bikers Association. It was a really good turnout because people from all over wanted to see the results. It wasn't even 11pm Eastern Standard time when CNN cut in with breaking news, projecting Barack Obama the winner in the Presidential Election.


This is an historic moment for us all. This day has certainly come. Everyone at Greens BBQ (the place where the event was held) was rejoicing: singing, dancing, crying. This is all from happiness. I met this old couple, who had to be in their late 80's and when they found out the results of the presidential election, they hugged and cried. Imagine living all of your life through the civil rights era, where even thinking about voting was not an option, only to come to this day, November 4, 2008, where we exercised that right with full force and power.


I could not help but shed tears of happiness. Here is a man who was DOUBTED...CRITICIZED...even RIDICULED about his name because he was not the ordinary candidate. The ordinary candidate is not up for change, but unlike that candidate Barack Obama is for change. It was due time. Past time. If you look around the world, you have already had countries that had first women presidents, first black presidents. Yet the United States did not have one elected president of color until now. Change was due and it happened. The record numbers in voting, long lines (I stood in line for 2 hours yesterday), the college aged kids, the ones that just turned 18 and while they may still be in high school they still were able to exercise their right to vote. I even praise the woman who was voting yesterday and her water broke. She stood in line for over an hour to get that opportunity and she did so.


This election brought more of us together as one nation. We all have our differences but we are still citizens of one country.Like Barack said, in the end there is no such thing as red states and blue states. We are 50 states and WE ARE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!
We all must continue to keep Barack, Michelle, Sasha, Malia and all of their family members in our prayers daily. No one said this is going to be easy. There are still mountains to climb. Even though Barack's grandmother passed the eve of the election, she knew that her job was done. She raised him well and she is smiling at him.


I am still celebrating, tearing up from time to time, because for me, this is a day that I will never ever forget. YES WE CAN AND YES WE DID!!!

7 comments:

Lady Queen said...

YES!!!! That's It and That's All!!! Nothing Else Matters. And his Grandmother left here so she could go intercede on his behalf to the Lord, she didn't want to take any chances!! This is a profound moment in history!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm as happy as I say I am on my blog and on other blogs. This is history indeed. For some reason though, the shine or the luster of Mr. Obama becoming President isn't as bright to me. If you understand the way the strings are pulled by the "powers that be", the way the world "has to be" and how the events are so eloquently orchestrated...you'd know what I mean. I did my research and I was NOT surprised one bit when they announced the winner. It was like reading in the newspaper the day before who's gonna win at Wrestlemania tomorrow, then order it anyway...

Anonymous said...

Hell, I'm STILL celebrating this and it's been a few days. I'm just all Giddy inside when I see the sour faces of folks who wanted the "Change" to come...just not from Mr. Barrack.

If they knew how tired that most of this nation was of the same old shit, they'd be rejoicing, too.

Brilliance Is A Habit (c) Unknown said...

agreeing with Wizzy Jr. I am so juiced.

Kofi Bofah said...

I knew that he was going to take it since he was dueling it out with Hillary.

Any man that can survive the gauntlet of Chicago politics as a former outsider is a fighter and a winner.

Kofi Bofah said...

And your readers might enjoy this post:

My Chicago Election Day Diary