Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Watch Night

Well I am going to be in church tonight bringing in the new year. This is a tradition for many people. For me this will be my second year attending.

Growing up, I have never been pressed to go. My mom and granddad (when he was living) attended all the time. I chose to stay at home and bring it in with Dick Clark and ABC.

Last year, after going through some shuffling of jobs and not being able to go home, I decided that I was going to attend. Before that I had read some history behind the "watchnight". Snopes.com proclaims that Watchnight started with the Morovians (which may be true) however it primarily became an African American tradition. However, check out the website http://www.wsbrec.org/blackfacts/WatchNight.htm and you will find out that African Americans have been gathering together praising God for years before the term officially had been coined "Watch Night". So really we didn't need a particular name for something we have been doing for years.

Back to the 2007 watchnight. I attended last year at Pine Grove AME Church (the church that I attend sometimes here in Columbia) and it was a packed house. Young, old and in between, you could see people filing in. I thought that was really cool. Some people have been going since they were kids (because their parents made them go). Others began going when they started college and was told this is what you need to do before going to the club on New Years. I will never forget one of my friends said a group of young people in their mid 20's attended watch night back home, and as soon as midnight hit, they passed their children to their parents and said "Off to the club we go!" WOW...that serious?

I enjoyed myself though. There were those who had their testimonials. I am more into the singing, so if I knew the song I was definitely into it. Two minutes before the new year we prayed it in. I'm thinking "this is how it is supposed to be...really". I felt more at peace that night. People coming together, whatever their problems may be and rejoicing and celebrating...and then....running out of the church to get to the party (club, house party)...lol. For me it was going home but if there was a motorcycle party going on...I would have been there, after the watchnight.

To all my readers and everyone on Blogger, have a safe and Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Thee_Kween said...

I hope that you enjoyed your New Years and that you brought it in with wonderfully blessed thoughts.

Happy New Year and Blessings to you, sis.