Monday, October 20, 2008

The Apple Bottom Cake

As promised, I am going to tell you all the results of the apple bottom cake I baked this weekend.

This cake is definitely a winner!!!
Fellow blogger Kween (aka Kiwi, Keys, Kali) published the recipe on her blog "Da Kween Can Burn" last week. The ingredients were simple to buy, and I wanted to see if this would be a cake that I would bake this year for Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks to my cousin Symoan, who also was the taste tester for this cake, she gave it two thumbs up. Matter of fact she ate half of the cake. Seriously. Symoan carried on and on about how it was the best cake she ever had so far. I could barely get it out of the oven when she had the cake knife in hand ready to slice it. I'm like "could you at least let it cool down some?" Wow...
This is a great dessert to have with a touch of vanilla ice cream on top. Yummy!!!
Here is the recipe for those of you who are interested and want to try something different:
Apple Bottom Cake (so easy)


~1 box of yellow cake mix (and all its ingredients)
~3-4 Granny Smith apples, peeled & shredded
~light brown sugar
~a stick of butter (whole stick not needed)
~cinnamon (optional)

Glaze:
~2 cups of confectioner's sugar
~about 2-3 tbsp of milk
~ dash of vanilla

After mixing cake mix and shredding apples, prepare the bottom of pan (you can use anon-stick bundt or mini muffins or small individual cake pans) by using stick to generously butter bottom

Sprinkle an even coat of light brown sugar over butter and then an even layer of the shredded apple and sprinkle cinnamon. Pour cake mix on top and bake til golden brown. (Time varies depending on pan...see back of box for times)

Let cool and once removed from pan...flip and glaze!
If any of you do decide to try this, please let me know you thoughts.
For cooking tips, recipes, and more, visit Kween's page at http://www.kweencanburn.blogspot.com

3 comments:

AssertiveWit said...

this cake sounds yummy! I might need to make this for someone else to eat cause lord knows I don't need all this sugar! LOL

Thee_Kween said...

YAAAAY, I'm so glad you and your cousin liked the cake. You can always tweak it. You can add cinnamon to the cake batter or make the glaze an almond one by changing the extract. Be inventive. Make it your own.

Diamond~Star said...

Chile, she almost ate the whole dayum cake!!! Today I made a apple crumb cake for the office potluck (I had a whole bag of granny smith apples so I got to do something with them). I got that recipe from Woman's World Magazine. Everyone loved it. It was really supposed to be an apple-pear crumb cake but in the mist of getting all my groceries from the store to my apartment, I somehow misplaced the pears so I ended up using two granny smith apples.