Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Little Too Direct For Some

I just had my midterm review today for my job. Overall it turned out to be ok, however according to management there are some minor things I need to work out.

From my report that I received today, it states that even though I handle the job in an efficient and timely manner, I need to work on being more customer friendly.

Hold on...I thought I was customer friendly.

From a coaching point of view, the customer wants to hear you smile (since we are talking about a customer service job at a call center, you know customers don't actually see you so you have to present yourself in a pleasant tone). Basically the report is saying I am not rude to the customer. I give them what they want, but I need to put a little more spark in the conversations.

Hear what I am saying.

I am sure, as well as any other person who has to call a bank, cell phone company, that a person don't mind pleasantness but they sure don't want you to be overly perky when you answer the phone. Now THAT is annoying. I try my best at that. Maybe it's not coming through correctly. Maybe I am being too direct (or they may think I am too direct). Some folks don't know how to take someone who pretty much answers their question after doing research.

Sometimes you have customers that as much as you try to be friendly to them and try to assist them, it seems as though they are not getting it. You are trying to be calm and collective without having to go off on them(these things happen sometimes). The good ol mute button always help out during these trying times. Sure the customer got to vent but by the end of the day the customer service rep got to vent too because of all the crap they have to listen to day in and day out.

Since this was my first midterm review, I didn't really know what to expect. However I do know how I set my own standards. I have this thing about anything less than an A will not do. This means I got to have higher than 94% to meet the average. This is something I go by. Even though the midterm was not graded as such, I felt that it was less than 94% and I needed to know why right then and there.

I know there are ways that I can do better. I can take a refresher course all day long but would it mean something to me? It's one thing that you already know what you need to do. You just need to do it.

The other thing I think that would REALLY help in any workforce is building up team spirit and morale. If it is not there, you are not going to get outstanding customer service. If you are not interacting with your co-workers and finding out what works then and what doesn't, then how do you expect for morale to pick up? You know maybe this is something that I may have to start up myself. I used to do things at the convenient store I used to work at. Every now and then I would bake a cake and bring it to the store for all the employees and if there was some left over then give a slice to those special customers. There were times when we would plan a mini potluck. It would be an impromptu thing, you know like some nachos and dip, something to drink. There was also a time where I made mini gift bags and passed them out. Each of us at the convenient store did something to keep the morale up. It really makes a difference in the workforce.

This being said (cause I really needed to vent today) I am going to pray, meditate and work on being better at my job, Even though I have been in the customer service field for 6 years, there is always room to grow and expand. I started off being aggravated about the whole thing but now I am a whole lot better.

2 comments:

Travis Musicbox said...

I understand how you feel, I am not in a call center, but I am an AE and I use the telephone quite a bit. Here is what helps me... I act as if every call or client is a friend of mine, and I am helping out a friend. It works for me. Plus if you flash that smile and mantain it(on your photo) before ever call you will sound and feel like that smile.! :)

Diamond~Star said...

That photo was done at home...lol. For the most part I am going to smile for the camera, even if I am not up to it. As far as these calls go, I am not on the other end monitoring so I don't know what they (the monitors) are listing to (nor do they even offer the option of listing to your call like other jobs would) so I am going by hearsay. I would love to hear it myself so I can see what they are talking about. Sometimes though, if you actually hear these people asking the same question you just answered 2 seconds ago, really trying to be pleasant as possible, you really would be saying in your head, "Did you not get this already?". As for now this is a day that is gone and I have already moved past that episode. Things have been better since then.

Thanks for your response.